Thursday, May 31, 2012

Final Session

So this is it.  We had our last meeting today with a pizza party and a viewing of the DVD.  I was worried, given the nature of documentaries, that it would be difficult to keep them interested and focused, but they loved it.  They wanted to watch it again!  There were some very interesting conversations and revelations, and a couple of moments got me a little teary eyed.  I never used to tear up about anything, but since I was diagnosed with Cancer it happens all the time.  I suppose I'm more in touch with my inner feelings than I was, but it's irritating, the kids make fun of me!

I don't know when I'll be teaching Manadoob again, though I suspect it will happen in the future.  I passed it along to a counselor who came in to do a workshop with my teens about effectively managing emotions so hopefully she will be able to incorporate it into what she does.  Networking is everything.  Still, it was a sad day, realizing that for the foreseeable future I won't be teaching Manadoob anymore.  I really fell in love with the program and I feel like I really hit my stride this year as a teacher.  At least I will be able to pass on what I've learned to whoever teaches it next.

Some good things today.  We talked a lot about communication.  The kids thought, at first, that there was no way to talk to animals.  I pointed out to them that speaking English is not the only way to communicate and that dogs spoke too.  They were skeptical at first but came around once I explained it to them.  I also talked to them about how verbal communication is actually one of the least important forms of communication and that body language and tone communicate far more information.  At the end of the DVD, I asked them what they learned from the video that they didn't know before.  CS told me that he didn't realize you could communicate without talking and that he saw how the people and animals communicated their love and understanding of each other through the way they touched and interacted.  CJ told me that she learned that people and animals can help each other with mutual problems and bring physical and emotional healing to each other.  There were many other insights as well but I'm running out of time!

I did a brief interview with CJ which I will be offering up to Manadoob to use as they see fit.  She was one of the rock stars of my group and she gained so much from it.  This is a bit of a spoiler from the interview, but, at the beginning of the class, she was having nightmares and really struggling.  She told me that Manadoob has helped her to overcome her nightmares and her fears, and she is sleeping comfortably again!

Well, I will respond to any comments (including the ones from last week I have not gotten to), and thanks again for sharing this experience with me and interacting.  All the best to all of you!

P.S.  They BEGGED me to do Manadoob one more time!

2 comments:

  1. Ryan - Thank you again for this wonderful blog! Your final session had great meaning for me having just lost Angel, my beautiful and gentle 16 year old dog last week. Being blind, almost deaf, and afflicted with arthritis, Angel and I did indeed communicate through touch and interaction. She helped me through difficult times and I would like to believe I helped her along the way as well. Every child should be given the opportunity to connect with animals. By doing so their lives will be rich and full and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We beg you to teach Manadoob again too! You can feel each time you communicate through your blog that you have touched each of these kids with tools that will help them throughout their lives. You are such a hero for Manadoob. We can't wait to see the interview and we would love your thoughts on video as well. I hope you know how much we appreciate you!! Wishing you the very best, always!

    ReplyDelete