Thursday, April 19, 2012

Session 11: Transitions

Greetings All,

So today was a little bit weird again.  I was very, not distracted, but I guess thoughtful.  I started the class off by asking the members if they had ever been in  a situation where a change came, and the change was good, but it also came along with some sadness as they transitioned from their old life and undertanding of the world to their new one.

In the non-stop roller coaster that is apparently my life, shortly after I found out about my scholarship I also received a promotion at work, moving from my position to teen director, the next step up.  It is an exciting time in my life, and it will present new challenges which are always welcome, but I will also be leaving the younger kids that I have spent the last two years of my life with; the younger kids who played a large part in my recovery; the younger kids that have become my friends and temporary wars.  Most of the kids talked about their experiences through the lens of moving, as that is the situation that many of them know the best at this point in their lives.  They talked about how it is exciting to go to a new place, meet new people, and experience new things, but how it is also difficult to leave behind old friends, comfortable places, and go into the unknown.

There are obviously lareger life lessons flowing throughout Manadoob all the time, and with my own personal experiences in the last few weeks they are intensified for me as well as for the members of the Manadoob class who are experiencing the lessons through me.  Along with the other major things going on in my life, Manadoob nicely complements, reinforces, and helps me pass on the lessons I'm learning.

Today we covered primarily Zack's story as he finds out about his adoption and subsequently his running away and finding himself in the bus stop.  The most impactful thing we talked about was the idea of whether or not Zack had a right to be mad at his parents for not telling him.  Amazingly, or not so much if you know Manadoob or follow my blog, all of the pertinent points were brought up by the children with only light prompting from me.  They talked about the fact that Zack had a right to be mad but that he had also made some bad decisions that caused more problems.  Perhaps the most insightful comment came from CS, who pointed out that Zack should be mad, but he also needs to think about the fact that his adopted parents are his real parents and have loved and taken care of him since he was a child.  CS pointed out that that matters more than who your biological parents are and it would do Zack well to remember that.

We also talked about forgiveness for others if they lie to you or deceive you.  Every member of the class said that they would forgive someone but that they would probably still be upset with them and not act like everything was okay when it wasn't.  I thought that showed a suprisingly mature viewpoint, and it was obvious how the question before that, about Zack and his anger at his parents, led them to that more mature understanding of the situation.  As much fun as it is to see the kids come to new ideas all by themselves, it is equally rewarding to see how Manadoob often leads them to those decisions with a light touch, encouraging them to come to a new understanding by engaging their minds and hearts, rather than by lecturing them about right and wrong.

Well, back to my crazy day.  I only had three days notice for my new position, and I need to get back out on the floor and spend as much time with the kids as I can before my time with them is up!

Cheers

Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Ryan. Sounds like the teens just got lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll sure work hard to make sure they did; that should be enough...thanks!

      Delete