Monday, March 5, 2012

Session 6: Anomalies

I'm late on this one.  Sorry loyal readers!  I wonder how many of you there are out there in the vast space of the internet.  At least a couple I hope.  Anyway, I've been ill and overworked for the past few weeks, so my apologies for the lateness of this post.

It was an interesting class.  Most of my class missed this week, for a variety of reasons.  The smallest class I've had through the first five was eight children; last Thursday's class was four.  CS, CJ, CM, and MZ.  I wouldn't like to have a class this small most days, as it really limits the perspectives that come into our conversations, but it was fun to have such an intimate setting and it provided some interesting moments.

This class will likely stand out as unlike any other, and, by far, the best moment of the day came when CM spoke for the first time.  Those of you who have been following will remember me mentioning her reluctance to speak, and when she raised her hand to share for the first time I got so excited!  I actually got so excited that I definitely forgot what she shared because I was so caught up in the moment.  In some ways I'm okay with that.  Normally I share those moments on the blog, fire them out into the ether and have no idea where they end up.  For this one, I get to keep it all in my head and all for myself.  Sorry...but not really.

I also had some pretty amazing moments that I do remember and will share.  We did the activity in Chapter 6 that asks the children to make a list, out of six options, of three things they can control and three things they cannot control (the options are:  Rain, Death, Fear, Happiness, a Rainbow, a Smile).  CJ, who has proven to be one of the most consistently insightful and outgoing of the group, answered that the things she could control were Fear, Happiness, and a Rainbow.  As I was about to ask how she could control a rainbow, CJ answered that she likes to imagine that she can control rainbows with her mind, making them come out after ever rainstorm so that she can see their beauty.  I couldn't find any fault with that argument so I thanked her for being so creative and optimistic and went on with my class.

Chapter 7 raises the idea of beauty and what it means to be beautiful while also revealing the first Manadoob, Loki Bella, to the children.  They struggled a little to embrace Loki Bella and her "strange" look, but all of them said that she was interesting and a few said she was beautiful; no one said she was ugly so I suppose they are ahead of the curve.  However, the amazing moment came when I asked them to define beauty.  I pointed out that everyone sees beauty differently and has a different idea of what it might be, and they responded with insight that wasn't unexpected but was still refreshing to hear.  The group came up with their individual answers and then I challenged them to come up with a group answer.  Led again by CJ, the group decided that whatever beauty is, it is definitely something that has more to do with who you are and the actions you take than what you look like.  They needed zero prompting from me to come to this conclusion and it was a lot of fun to hear them discuss what beauty meant to them and then bring it all into a general group definition.

Well off to other things.  I'm on a bit of a deadline so I haven't edited this yet.  Forgive any small oversights!

6 comments:

  1. Ryan, I follow your blog every week. The way you use the Manadoob Program to reach these kids both individually and as a group brings chills to me. Through your words, I watch them learn and grow. Surely, you and the Manadoob have touched and helped to shape their lives for the rest of their lives. A defining experience! Thank you for doing what you do so very well. Please feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! It is an amazing program and I am just glad we were able to get the resources and have the chance to run it at our Club this year. It's nice to hear that people are following. I know I've mentioned this in the blog but it's so weird to me to be posting stuff and having no idea if anyone is reading. Hopefully there are more comments in the future! Cheers.

      Delete
    2. HI Ryan
      I LOVE your posts!I relate to them as I taught 2 Manadoob classes last year and will teach more soon.What ages are you teaching?Our boys and girls club is only for middle school age and up.It is a magical program and I too was amazed at how much I learned about myself while teaching the class.Do the children know about your health issues?Are you in remission now?I hope I am not getting too personal! :) I look forward to reading your blog .
      xo
      Kim

      Delete
    3. Hi Kim,

      It isn't really personal. Sometimes I don't mention things just because I'm not accustomed to talking about them or because they are so obvious to me that I just don't think about them. I told the kids in Session 3, I believe, before I started the blog. I worked it into the class as something I shared with them for Chapter 4; I talked about how difficult it has been for me to stay positive but how, ultimately, it was one of the most important things I learned to do. I won't say I'm always positive, or that I have been from the start, but I'm definitely learning. Full remission for almost two years now and no reason to think it'll change. Thanks for the comments and the questions!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ryan,

    I look forward to reading your blog each week, and admire your work with your students. They are extremely fortunate to have you as their teacher, and will gain so much from their sessions with you. Thanks for your great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm lucky to have them as students so it definitely works both ways.

      Delete